How Do I Remove Smoke Odor After A Fire?
After a fire occurs, one of the worst issues you will encounter will be the odor of smoke. It is pervasive and will affect all the textiles (such as curtains, carpets, and furniture) and materials in your structure (like paint and wood).
It can be tough to remove smoke odors, but it must be done since smoke and soot create an unhealthy environment and might even affect your health!
What Are Some DIY Methods I Can Use To Get Rid Of The Smell Of Smoke After A Fire?
You can handle the odor yourself up to a certain point. Here are a few DIY methods you can try:
- When it is safe to return home, open all the windows to air the property; fresh air can help clear out smoke odors. If the smoke odor is contained, it can continue to permeate surfaces in the home, while proper ventilation can help reduce the smell in your house. Place fans near your doors and windows to push smoke odor and soot outside.
- Sprinkle baking soda on your carpeting and upholstery. After several hours or up to a full day, use a vacuum fitted with a HEPA filter, which prevents smoke particles from blowing back into the room. Steam cleaning is another way to remove the smell of smoke, but it may be better suited for something other than delicate upholstery, such as leather. If some of your items are delicate, you can contract with a damage restoration company like SERVPRO to clean them professionally.
- Remove all curtains, area rugs, cushions, blankets, and other fabric from the affected area of the house. Wash these items thoroughly, or have them dry cleaned. Also, consider laundering towels, sheets, and other fabrics that may have been exposed to smoke. If you are laundering fabrics on your own, keep in mind it may take several cycles to eradicate the odor. Use a cup of regular laundry detergent mixed with distilled white vinegar for stubborn odors.
- Use a clean solution of warm water, distilled white vinegar, and dish soap for solid surfaces such as window sills, screens, countertops, and glass. Using a sponge, methodically wipe down all surfaces and remove any soot that may have settled.
How Can SERVPRO Of North Nashville Help Me Handle Removal Of Smoke Odor?
If you need the help of a professional restoration company, don't hesitate to call SERVPRO of North Nashville at (615) 876 9551!
- As experts in deodorization, SERVPRO of North Nashville is trained to identify and eliminate offensive odors, including fire-related ones. These odors can come from many sources inside and outside a structure.
- SERVPRO teaches IICRC technical classes in the proper removal of odors. Masking and other shortcuts will not work when your odor problem is severe or persistent.
- Our technicians have the training and equipment to identify and eliminate these offensive odors. By identifying the cause of the odor and determining the conditions where it contacts surfaces, the odor can often be removed over time without a trace. Our team has access to several odor removal products capable of penetrating surfaces to neutralize an unpleasant odor thoroughly.
The SERVPRO of North Nashville team is available anytime to help you with fire safety, and we can be onsite immediately if a fire does break out. In addition to fire damage, we handle damage from water, mold, storms, and much more.
Contact us today for more information on ways we can help you "make it like it never happened!"
This franchise is independently owned and operated.