Preventing Mold Growth In Your Storage Unit
Your storage unit could easily develop an issue with mold growth, especially during those times of the year when it is damp and hot. You’re not going to see the inside of your storage unit very often, and if things get wet or damp, a mold colony can become established pretty quickly. Practicing preventive measures will ensure that you don’t develop a mold issue in your storage unit, and we’ve got some great tips that can help you do just that:
- Paint. If your storage unit is on your own property, you can paint it using mold-resistant paint. This type of paint is readily accessible at your local hardware or home goods store, as well as many other materials and products, too. When doing any type of repair or renovation, you can always check with a professional to find available products that contain mold-resistant ingredients.
- Dry. Avoid standing water in your unit. If there has been a big rainstorm, take a trip to your unit and see how things look. If there is standing water of any kind, make sure it all gets cleaned up and aired out.
- Smell. If you visit your unit and you can smell that telltale and familiar musty odor, check all the walls and corners to see if a mold colony has established itself. Any damp and dark area is prime mold real estate.
- Location. A storage unit company will most likely offer interior and exterior units, so if you are storing items that are valuable or that could be adversely affected by mold, you may want to pay the extra leasing fee and rent an interior space. These will almost always be climate-controlled, so mold will be unlikely to make an appearance here. Make sure that the location you are using is in good shape, with proper weather stripping and roofing that will withstand wet weather. If the property at large is unkempt, take that into consideration.
- Prevention. Wrapping your items in plastic if at all possible is going to help a great deal in preventing mold growth. You can obtain large rolls of bubble wrap for furniture and other large items.
Here at SERVPRO of North Nashville, we have all the necessary expertise necessary to help you with any mold damage. We are also available for cleanup after fire and water damage.