If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (615) 876-9551

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Which Causes Of House Fires Are Most Common?

3/6/2023 (Permalink)

Who doesn't love snuggling up under a blanket in front of a roaring fire when the weather is cold or plugging in the space heater when chilly spring winds are blowing? We all use many methods to keep ourselves warm during the colder parts of the year, and it's essential to know how to stay safe while we do. 

House fires are often caused by cooking and heating practices; the damage and trauma that a house fire will cause your family is tremendous. 

Let's discuss the most common causes of house fires - and how to avoid them!

Which Causes Of House Fires Are Most Dangerous To My North Nashville Home?

The most common causes of house fires are:

  • Kitchen fires account for almost half of all house fires, so this cause ranks top of the list of the most common causes. They usually occur due to overcooking or spilling food and grease during preparation. A kitchen grease fire can start even without exposure to an open flame. 
  • Space heaters are the biggest culprit for home heating fires, followed by fireplaces. 
  • Fires caused by smoking occur when a person neglects to extinguish their cigarette adequately before tossing it. A cigarette casually flicked away can easily ignite dry leaves or other materials and cause your house to catch on fire. The most common places for smoking-related home fires occur are on balconies or patios, followed by the bedroom.

What Are A Few Fire Safety Tips I Can Follow To Keep My North Nashville Home Fire-Safe?

  • When cooking, Keep anything that can catch fire away from your stovetop. Always unplug countertop alliances when not in use. Double-check that you have turned everything off when you are done cooking. Prevent a fire by keeping your oven and stovetop clean of grease and dust. Never leave the kitchen while cooking.
  • Safety when heating your home involves keeping items such as curtains, pillows, books, papers, carpet, furniture pieces, bedding, paint, electronics, aerosol sprays, and fire matches out of close range of your fireplace or space heater.
  • If you must smoke, a few safety tips for you will be to never smoke in bed; take extra care when you're tired, taking any medications, or have been drinking alcohol; and make sure your cigarette is fully extinguished. Never leave lit cigarettes, cigars, or pipes unattended. 

SERVPRO of North Nashville is here for you whenever any disaster happens in or around your home. We will be onsite immediately to help you recover from fire damage. You can also count on us for remediation from water damage, unpleasant odors, and more; we're here to help you return to normal immediately!

This franchise is independently owned and operated. 

Other News

View Recent Posts