What Are Common Fire Risks In My North Nashville Home?
Fires in homes cause injury, property damage, and death throughout the nation every year. You can keep your loved ones and your property safe from the aftermath of a house fire and help you avoid the costs associated with recovering from that kind of disastrous event with proper prevention. Knowing the most common fire risks means knowing where to focus on fire prevention.
What Are The Most Common Causes Of House Fires?
Here are some common fire risks to be aware of in your North Nashville home, plus some safety tips:
- It’s never a good idea to light a candle and leave the room. Reports have shown that an average of 10,000-plus fires in the U.S. are started by candles yearly. Additionally, one-third of these fires were found to have started in bedrooms, with half of those incidents caused by fires from candles left too close to flammable items.
- The number of fires caused by smoking is trending downward, which is good news. However, The National Fire Protection Association reports that there are still an average of over 17,000 smoking-related fires per year.
- An equipment malfunction can cause electrical fires due to an overloaded circuit, a bad extension cord, an overheated light bulb, or various types of home appliances.
What Are Some Fire Prevention Tips I Can Use To Avoid Fire Damage To My North Nashville Home?
- Never leave a candle burning near flammable items, and extinguish all candles before leaving the room.
- Never leave a candle burning in a child’s room or an unoccupied room.
- Make sure candles fit securely into candle holders to keep the candle from tipping over.
- Don’t smoke. If you must, follow these tips:
- Smoke outside whenever possible.
- Look for cigarette butts under furniture and between seat cushions for those that might not have been extinguished.
- Never smoke when you’re tired, around medical oxygen, or in bed.
- Don’t overload outlets or electrical cords.
- Ensure you use the right cord for the job; use inside cords for inside and heavy-duty/outside cords outdoors.
- Don’t leave Christmas lights, Christmas trees, or halogen lights on overnight or when gone from your home.
- Schedule an electrician to come and perform an annual checkup of your home’s wiring.
These are the most common fire hazards you need to be aware of for your home, but there are other fire hazards to guard against, as well. SERVPRO of North Nashville is always available to come to your home and conduct an assessment of your fire safety practices. We are proud to serve the North Nashville community in the restoration of homes and businesses from fire damage, water damage, odor removal, and more!
This franchise is independently owned and operated.