HVAC Maintenance In The Winter Months
The colder months are almost here and now would be a good time to plan for the maintenance of your HVAC system. Having a routine in place will be a good way to ensure that your system is in good working order when you need it most.
You may want to hire a professional to come to inspect your HVAC system ahead of the colder months; if any maintenance is needed, they can take care of it on the spot. A professional will inspect and clean all of your unit’s wiring and mechanisms and will be able to determine if you have any outstanding issues that need to be addressed. They can also recommend routine maintenance that you can do during the winter months to keep everything in good shape.
Some simple, regular maintenance chores that you can do to prolong your system’s life and increase its efficiency between those professional inspections and maintenance visits are:
- Get a high-efficiency, pleated air filter for your system
- Keep your heating units and AC free of pollen, leaves, and grass
- Keep two feet of space clear around your outdoor AC and heating units
- Inspect refrigerant lines every month
- Replace the humidifier filter and turn the water back on in the Fall
- Inspecting the heat exchanger, heating elements, heat pump, burner, and the ignition system
- Change the filters on heating equipment
- Clean drain lines and pans
- Check thermostat and controls for proper measurement and regulations
- Inspect fan motors, blowers, vents, and ductwork
- Lubricate moving parts
- Replace worn-out belts and pulleys
- Inspect electrical components and connections as well as replacing batteries
- Check for gas leaks and flue gas passageways
Inspecting, preparing, and maintaining your HVAC throughout the winter will ensure that your interior environment is as comfortable as possible and will also ensure that you are far less likely to experience equipment failures when you least expect them.
The team at SERVPRO of North Nashville has all the experience, skill, and equipment necessary to keep your HVAC working perfectly during even the coldest weather. We are also experienced in large cleanup projects you may need to recover from fire damage or water damage, and we are mold remediation experts, too.