Mold Removal Tips For Your Bathroom
Your bathroom is a potential breeding ground for mold, simply because moisture can easily build up. Mold only needs four ingredients besides moisture to grow, this includes humidity, organic material, and oxygen. You can find all four of these things in your bathroom at home, which makes it easily susceptible to mold. It is a good idea to regularly inspect your bathroom to ensure that it does grow out of control and damage your home or health. Common causes of bathroom mold include lingering moisture due to lack of ventilation, leaky fixtures such as sinks, or damp cellulose materials such as wood that mold can feast on.
One danger of bathroom mold is that it isn’t in the most obvious areas. Thoroughly inspect the entirety of your bathroom, this includes underneath sinks, exhaust fans, the access doors to shower and bath fixtures, or even in crawl spaces and basements underneath the bathroom. The most common places to find mold are caulk, tile grout, and painted or wallpapered walls.
How can you prevent mold from growing in your bathroom? Here are some tips:
- Turn on the bathroom ventilation fan when you take a shower or bathe, and leave it on for at least 30 minutes afterward. If you do not already have a fan, it is in your best interest to install one.
- Wash and dry your bathroom rugs regularly.
- After using the shower, wipe down the shower walls with a towel or squeegee.
- Buy a mildew-resistant shower curtain, and wash or replace it frequently. After using the shower, keep open the curtain to let it dry.
- Mop any water spills on the floors and counters.
- Avoid keeping too many shampoo and other body product bottles in the shower, or do not keep them in there at all. Also, avoid keeping toys and loofahs in the shower. They all provide places for mold to grow and hide.
- Keep humidity levels low, and use an air conditioner or dehumidifier to help control these levels.
If the mold comes back or worsens, you might want to consider calling the professionals to properly remove the problem areas. Do not hesitate to call SERVPRO of North Nashville before the mold grows out of control. Not only are we faster to any size disaster, but we also are highly trained mold remediation specialists who only want to help you!